Insights:Should You LOL on Social Media?
Everyone likes a good laugh. That includes brands who utilize social media platforms to grow their businesses. A recent survey showed that 80% of marketers reported that funny posts are the most successful on social media platforms.
Humor done well makes people feel positive about a brand, dramatically aids in recall and significantly increases social media sharing. Funny or entertaining content is listed as one of the top five reasons why people follow a specific brand. When you take into consideration that 72% of people buy from brands they follow on social media, humor seems to be a sure way to keep your business laughing all the way to the bank.
Unfortunately, comedy isn’t easy and some humor only works with a specific demographic group. What GenY may find side-splitting could leave Boomers scratching their heads or worse, feeling insulted. It’s a tricky art finding the right tone and content for humorous social media efforts.
A few things to ask yourself when attempting humor for brands on social media include:
• Is the humor appropriate for your brand voice?
• Is the humor appropriate for your business category?
• If the joke falls flat what is the potential fallout?
• Could the humor you’re using be considered hurtful or insensitive to a specific demographic?
• Could the joke you’re making be seen as making fun of your customers?
• Have there been any recent news events that could make your attempt at humor feel insensitive or opportunistic?
If you’d like to learn more about utilizing humor as part of your social media strategy, give Insight’s digital team a call at 605-275-0011 or send us an email. If you decide to go it alone, always remember to tweet others the way you want to be tweeted.